Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ahhh...Traveling Adventures With The Ball's

Anyone who knows us already knows that we cannot take a trip ANYWHERE that doesn't involve complications. It may be a blizzard 3 days before Christmas that cancels our entire trip home, OR when we do get a flight out from the blizzard, we get stuck in Dallas in tornadoes, airport closed and we have to rent a car to drive 6 more hours to Mississippi, OR a crying 5 month old Carter who is teething, 2 howling beagles in the back, and blowing snow/ snowpacked roads on a 26 hour cross country car trip! Nothing is simple when we plan a trip. I mean, on our honeymoon, we missed or flight to St Lucia due to "sunny weather delays!" It was OK...we just spent the first day in Six Flags and went the next day! (Six Flags was all that was open on Easter Sunday in Atlanta!) Well, yesterday Carter and I were to leave at 6AM for Mobile for a trip home. I awoke about 3am after 3 hours of sleep, feeling a bit nauseated with a ridiculous headache (AKA... Migraine) I started vomiting and knew the trip wasn't going to happen...at least not at 6AM anyway! Brad called to cancel the departing flight and we were to call later in the day to reschedule. After vomiting for a while, I went to the doctor and got some IV fluids and nausea medicine and after a couple doses of Morphine for the headache, and I was ready to fly! (Or I thought I was anyway!) Carter and I got booked on the 5PM flight. (We either had to take that flight or it would be $900 more to leave another day...I don't understand airline thought!) So we left.
We had a 3 hour flight to Atlanta, and a 40 minute layover in ATL. But, we left Denver 30 minutes late because it had started snowing and we had to de-ice the plane. Ok, so that left me 10 minutes in ATL to got to my next flight! Nothing can be done in 10 minutes in ATL. I thought! My headache got worse thinking about it. The Morphine was definitely wearing off and the hangover headache from it was settling in! Carter was in the "I want to stand up the entire flight and jump like a mad woman mood!" I was hoping the breastfeeding before the flight would have just enough Morphine in it to calm Carter down and make her want to sleep for a bit on the plane! (hmmm...is that child abuse??) Luckily, I had a super nice 8 months pregnant lady sitting next to me who seemed to notice the greenish tint to my face and she offered to hold Carter for the entire flight! I felt so bad for her, but was so blessed to have her there! We arrived in ATL, and I had 6 minutes to get to the next flight! Sorry Carter, no new diaper for you! Be strong, I told her! Brad was watching all of this (the late departure from Denver, the 6 minute layover in ATL) at home from the computer. He had already called my parents and told them I probably would not be at the airport, becuase there was no way I could have made the flight. But I did!
We arrived in Pensacola about 1030pm. Ahhhh, 15 minutes early! Carter did great and slept most of the 2nd flight. I was asleep in the car before we got out of the airport parkinglot, I think!
I don't have many days that involve that much vomiting, Morphine AND a plane flight! It was definitely an adventure and I never ever want to experience it again! Luckily, Brad will be flying into town next Wednesday and we will be traveling back together!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

that is too funny! glad ya'll finally got there safely!

Anonymous said...

Brad and Mandy! Wow, I think of you guys often. You're little girl is beautiful! Mandy-please email me sometime. (susannalford@yahoo.com)

Susan